For some reason this week, I craved sandwiches, ALL WEEK! At least there is a lot of versatility to making sandwiches. I may have heard a few remarks from my family, but after they tasted the sandwiches, there was no more grumbling :).
This sandwich was one of my favorites from the week, and while the pulled chicken always seemed so complex and time-consuming to me, this recipe was relatively easy!
For the recipe, I boiled one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I got the skinny chicken breasts from the store, because they were thinner, cooked faster and seemed easier to work with. I boiled them for around 10 minutes, then allowed them to cool.
While the chicken was cooling, I mixed up the sauce to go on the chicken.
Once the chicken was cool enough to work with, I pulled the chicken with a fork. This was the most time consuming process, but with extra practice, it could go a lot quicker! I then added the chicken to the sauce, and the sandwiches were ready to go! Yes, it was that easy! I added the chicken to a bun with broccoli slaw and onion.
I also made french fries to go with the meal. What’s a sandwich without the french fries!? In order to speed the french fry process up, I chopped the potatoes into wedges, then microwaved them for 8 minutes. The microwaving allowed for the potato wedges to get soft before placing them in the oven. The purpose of cooking the french fries in the oven following the microwave was dwindled to simply creating a crust on the surface of the potato wedges. This took around 15-20 minutes, which worked perfectly with the timing of the chicken.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches:
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup jalapeno ketchup (or you can use regular and add 1 T hot sauce)
1/4 c mustard
1 T Stevia brown sugar blend
2 t garlic powder
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
1 t chili powder
2 t onion powder
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T cornstarch
1. Boil chicken breasts in pot of water for 10-12 minutes or until done.
2. Allow chicken to cool, while making sauce. Mix all sauce ingredients together over medium heat on the stove. Stir until sauce gets thicker.
4. Pull cooled chicken with fork.
5. Add chicken to sauce and stir until well coated.
6. Add to toasted sandwich buns. Add broccoli slaw and onion for garnishes if desired.
Italian and Garlic Seasoned French Fries
4-5 large potatoes
4 T Italian seasoning
2 T minced garlic
2 T oil
1. Chop potatoes into french fry wedges. Add seasoning and mix until french fries are well coated. Add more spices if needed. Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes, until potato wedges can be pierced with a fork.
2. Cook french fries in single layer in 450F oven, until french fries develop a crisp crust, around 15-20 minutes.